Friday, May 13, 2011

Tulip Time

If you aren't from Michigan, you will definitely not understand the great West MI tradition that is Tulip Time.. A week of dutch dancing, elephant ears, parades, fireworks, etc. Really, that's all I can think of. I personally don't see what all the fuss is about, but as a West Michigander, maybe some of the enchantment is gone. When I was younger, I dreamt of being a Dutch Dancer, but our school didn't have it as a club. I was oh-so sad, but now I don't feel like I missed out on too much. The dutch dancers wandering around downtown looked miserable and sweaty. Not fun.

More pictures to come but here are some pictures of our dutch baby! Neither Erik nor I are Dutch (I'm Korean he's Swedish and Norwegian), but we're getting in the spirit of our area's heritage. It really is strange how many Dutch descendants live here! How did they end up here? It's really quite a mystery. Anyway, regardless of Lyla's ACTUAL bloodline, this is her first Tulip Time and hence, it is a big deal. I'll try to post some other pics of the festivities but here are some pics of our cutie in her Dutch outfit!

BTW I'm trying out some new editing techniques... Erik always complains about how he bought me photoshop and how I still can't do anything cool, so I'm trying to up my game a little bit.






2 comments:

  1. I love little Dutch outfit! And I think that clogs with her name look very cute too.

    OK, I hope that this time around my comment will actually stick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks! Every baby here needs to have a first pair of wooden shoes haha. Weird tradition.

    ReplyDelete