Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Justice

Warning: This post has nothing to do with family, motherhood, weddings or anything fun and happy.

Some web definitions of justice:
Just behavior or treatment, the quality of being fair or reasonable

Synonyms:
Equity, fairness, righteousness

In none of these definitions do I read 'take joy in the death of the enemy.' I have watched my facebook news feed blow up with statuses celebrating the death of U.S. enemy, Osama Bin Laden. Many seem to be overcome with joy as we enter 'years of peace in a post-9/11 world.' Others proclaim how they can, after 10 years, sleep soundly at night, knowing their children are safe.

And then the other half of my facebook friends are condemning everyone else for celebrating Bin Laden's death.

Normally I don't get involved in world affairs, a shame really, and not something I'm proud of, but I feel that I should say my peace. These are simply my thoughts on the matter.

I guess I agree with the latter half of facebook status updaters. I can't say I'm unhappy that Bin Laden has died, but I'm not celebrating it either. How can we live in a 'just' world when we rejoice at death, even that of our enemies? How is that a peaceful world? Think of any crime related tv show where in the end, the bad guy gets shot. The good guy doesn't go around high fiving his friends and cheering at the downfall of his foe. The bad guy's death is followed by... really nothing, a solemn look from the good guy's face, saying that justice has been served but at the cost of a life... fade out into the good guy going about his business. Okay I actually don't watch any of those crime shows, but that's what I think would happen.

And what really bothers me is this... You really haven't been able to sleep well at night simply because Osama bin Laden was alive?? Weren't you really afraid of terrorism in general? And terrorism is a broad term encompassing a number of groups, not only Osama bin Laden. Terrorism existed before 9/11 and exists after today.

Terrorism has roots and history, from long before 9/11 but, in our recent history, culminating in the attack on the World Trade Center. The U.S.' actions over the centuries can't have helped. Something we ought to remember when pointing fingers.

Something interesting I saw on twitter.. Our tiny children are sometimes our biggest teachers

How I Saw the Death of Osama Bin Laden Through a Preschooler's Eyes

Like i said, these are just my thoughts, so agree or disagree as you will.

I wanted to post some pictures and a happy post but my camera cord is kind of broken. Maybe later.

No comments:

Post a Comment